Sunday, September 2, 2012

Eco Night Run - 1st night run in Penang...

Eco Night Run, organized by the Delta company, is probably the first ever night run we have in Penang in recent times. Although it’s only an 8km run, it did have some challenging route. Starting off from Youth Park, it goes through the road leading to Botanical Garden. Once entering the Botanical, it will run through the big loop 3 times. The big loop includes the short uphill, that’s what I called the ‘Heart-break Hill’.. Gus Ghani, a friend met through Facebook running community, was in town to join this event as well as the SP Half Marathon. I also met some familiar faces like Edmun, Lee Pin, and KL Chan.
The Eco Night Run came 4 days after the Larian Hijau and I was recovering from my flu/fever. Went to see the doc on Monday and asked for a strong dose of anti-biotics. I told the doc I have an important task on Thursday night.. LOL. Bad role-model. Anyway, I became better through the medication, but the 2 full-day training @ Eastin means I have zero training from Larian Hijau on Sunday through to Thursday.. The race started at 8pm with some mess at the starting line. As we positioned ourselves at the starting line, those who came late practically positioned themselves in front of the group and we were left towards the far end of the group. That is usually a problem as many runners tend to start slow/jog and this can be a safety issue with them clogging the lanes in front. Anyway, I still had to weave through the crowd and even jumped into the pedestrian lane and ran through there ! Since it was at night, the rout was not that well lighted but thanks to the volunteers and organizing committee, they managed to position them at strategic locations and show us the way using torch lights. As expected the hill was tough (Duh ! As though I am so naive.. That is my one of my hill-training spot).. I managed to run up the hil for the first loop but by the time I did 2nd and 3rd loop, all I could do was some jog & brisk walk ! Aduii..
The post-run event of lucky draw and prize giving were really nice though it took close to 3 hrs to complete. We had a short Merdeka sing-long to “Tanggal 31” song just before mid-nite. The event ended at around 12:20am.. Damn sleepy & tired but had a fun work-out and meeting fellow runners too..

Distance : 7.68km
Time : 42mins flat
Pace : 5:28min/km
Placing : #46 in Men’s Open category


Near the starting point

With Mr Choo, Jin Ji after the run

With Gus Ghani and Kelvin

With Jin Ji (who got 4th placing)
With Edmund after the run

No comments:

Post a Comment