Monday, October 3, 2011

KOTR and tiring ascending runs (2 Oct 2011) !!


Photo source : Lim Peck Yah


King of the Road (KOTR), pretty glamorous name.. Here’s a short writeup on KOTR in the homepage:
“Each country is a qualifying leg towards the finals, which will be held in the Philippines on 23rd October 2011. The winner of the Men Close and Women Close 16.8km Category will win an all-expenses paid trip to the Philippines to compete with the best of the best in Southeast Asia.”

This is my first adidas KOTR.. Here in Malaysia, it’s a race along New Pantai Expressway (NPE), starting and finishing in front of Sunway Pyramid, one of the favorite shopping mall. The route takes one along the highway, make a U-turn at first turning (that’s in between SS14/SS15), then run pass the Metropolitan College, all the way straight thru the under-pass, then hit the toll and then going up the ramps heading towards Jalan Templer. Then another U-turn right before Jalan Templer will bring the race on the home stretch back to Sunway Pyramid. Overall, there are 7 ascending runs with the ‘worst’ in between 7.2km-9.3km, which I now labeled as killer stretch (just because it took the wind out of me !!)

Overall, it has a nice route, though not as scenic as I had wished but the ascending runs rally exposed my ‘weakness’.. I hv problem running slopes/hills ! So that’s what I should focus on – hill repeats @ Bukit Jambul ! Well, the truth is, I actually nearly gave up, gave up as in just want to walk back to finishing line.. But I guess the competitive nature in me pushed me on.. Just plain tiredness, no pain or what so ever.. On the hindsight, I could have gotten more sleep the previous night instead of watching Merseyside derby (which Liverpool won 2-0 at Goodison Park !!) and MU vs Norwich… and then woke up at 4am ! The race started at 6.45am.. Next time, I will just wake up at 6am and slowly walk there.. Sun Inns Mentari is just a 10mins slow walk to Sunway Pyramid !

Summary:
Distance : 16.71km
Time : 1:37:30
Pace : 5:50mins/km with a split of 5:29, 5:53 and 6:15 for the 5km splits and ended with 5:32 for the last 1.71k
Position : #428


The race bib collection @ Sunway Pyramid, very smooth process



Race T.. The most colorful ones I have received..



The timing, the bib, the medal and the LiveStrong wristband (Oct 2 is the LiveStrong Day)



A couple shots taken during the run - by Sakura Chuah and Khokl


Results from KOTR home page : http://adidaskingoftheroad.com/my/index.php?page=en_raceresults

Chip Time : 1:37:28.09
Gun Time : 1:39:37.34.. Damn, it took me >2 minutes to reach the starting line-up ! Key learning, don't lepak and always start from at least the middle !!

No comments:

Post a Comment