Monday, April 2, 2012

April Fools' Run - 23km LSD

I decided to do an LSD after being dormant for 5 days. After last Sunday's Malakoff 17km, I did a 5km USM recovery run on Monday and that's it. Had multiple reasons for missing my evening runs - dinners, meeting up friends, rain and sending kid for tuition ! :)
Alas, what a mistake it was ! and i guess I did not hydrate and prep well for the long run.
Started from Youth Park right before 6am, I did my customary run towards Straits Quay. Since it was meant to be an LSD, I tried to pace myself better though I kept running too fast too soon.

I keep rminidng myself to run against the traffic. Yes, penang motorist can sometimes be an ass-hole when come to to dirving courtesy. You could feel like they are trying to get closer to you and whizz past you. After the hit-and-run fatal case of cyclist @ MRR2 last week, people are more cautious and I do hope motorist are more aware of the dangers of runners & bikers alike !

The road into Straits Quay was a bit too dark. In fact, the 1km stretch leading in from Island Plaza to Straits Quay was pitched-dark and I decided to run on the pavement as there were some on-coming cars driving too fast to my liking. So as dark as it was, I wasn't sure what was I stepping onto, including potentially exposed drain holes !

As it was a Cheng Beng (Chinese's All Soul's Day) Sunday, the roads were a bit busier than normal Sundays. Nontheless, the run was pretty uneventful, same old, same old.. but I am getting used to no music while running.. on the way back, running through Gurney, I met a few small group of runners though I don't quite recognize their faces. I decided to tweak my route a bit to make it more interesting. I ran through Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, then into Light Street instead of the normal E&O route. and with so few cars then, I ran into the car-free zone area of Beach Street. But that is as far I would go. Stray dogs !! A group of them. I decided to take a stroll before running back to the clock tower. That's where my knees started to feel the pain. Right knee that is. took a short brather and some stretches at the Esplanade, I continued running.

I reckoned that running back via Gurney will yield me only 17-18km. I then took a detour and ran into Pangkor Road and then to the St Georges School. I wanted to check out the route for the Round the House just in case I will be running on it. Pretty flat road surfaces and shady stretch. Perfect for a relay. and in fact, this will be a better route than running thru Sepoy Line as I will be running along the traffic flow @ Jalan Utama and the narrow pavement is not ideal. I clocked in my 21th km @ 2:10 right in front of the school.

The last 2km back was the toughest. Heavy traffic along Jalana Utama and running on pavement was not easy. I must have twisted my foot a few times due to the uneven surfaces. I wanted to cross the street to run through Youth Park but it was quite impossible to do so due to the continuous flow of traffic. So, going straight was the way out and head into the Youth Park car park.

Met Jin Ji when resting. Also bumped into Andrew.
My knees felt locked after the run. I am having some pains on my left knee now. I believe it's due to the run on pavement and the 'minimalist' Cadence of mine will take some more time to get used to if I were to run longer distances.

This week, I will be doing some swimming at USM and less runs. Recovery time :)

Summary:
Distance:23.00 km
Time:2:24:17
Avg Pace:6:16 min/km
Avg Speed:9.6 km/h
Calories:1,802 C

My 1km splits:
Split (km) Time
1 06:07.7
2 05:28.7
3 05:52.7
4 06:04.8
5 06:07.9
6 06:10.7
7 06:35.1
8 06:07.4
9 06:19.6
10 05:37.3
11 06:56.2
12 05:33.5
13 05:50.2
14 05:52.5
15 06:04.1
16 06:29.1
17 06:36.0
18 06:27.3
19 06:28.7
20 06:47.8
21 06:36.8
22 07:14.1
23 06:49.2
Summary 2:24:17.1


My 23k LSD running route:


My 1km splits. Note the dips - toilet break, getting my Gatorade, covering up an open man-hole (safety for runners), stop for stretches

No comments:

Post a Comment