Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year's Run (2013) - Kulim Half Marathon

Distance : 20.66km | Time : 2:05 | Pace : 6:03mins/km
Condition : near perfect weather | Route : flat and hilly
Satisfaction level : 3/5

Kulim Half-Marathon, an inaugural race. My opening act for 2013. I didn’t have high expectation for the run since it is very low key, and the advertisement only came out 1.5 months before the run itself. And there wasn’t much info about the logistics, the aid station etc. Nonetheless, I wouldn’t let go a chance to run at Kulim, a place I call my 2nd home, what’s more it will be a New Year’s Run.. I decided to give it a chance and hope it doesn‘t turn out like the SP HM.

It was a new year, and although I am in the midst of my preparation for the AZ RnR, I didn’t think and plan too much about this run. The race was supposed to start at 7am, so I left home around 5.30am. Smooth traffic, but raining all the way. Stadium Keladi was an easy spot. As soon as I arrived, I spotted a few familiar faces in Ling Teoh, Qamarrul, Ramlan, Hafiz, Alex Cheah, Oon, etc..  Not bad. We were told to wear their tee-shirt, else will be disqualified. I reluctantly adhered to it as I also want to avoid getting too wet as the slight drizzle was still on at that time.

As the time approaches 7am, there was only a small group of runners. Really small, the smallest I have ever seen. There were 12 female runners and probably 50-60 male runners. The sky was still dark (due to the cloudy weather) when the race was flagged off at 7.10am. We ran through the Kelang Lama area via a small road, then into the MPKK and Full Wealth, exited at Petronas into the sekolah kebangsaan. I guess it was an orientation day as the traffic was pretty heavy at that time with many motorcycles and school-going kids, not to mention the lorries. That was probably the worst moments, and dangerous throughout the run. We then entered the University KL, passed by Infineon and entered into the back of First Solar. The route took us through the small industries area of Kulim Tech Park before going back to Stadium Keladi.

The time taken was 2:05 (split 1st half @ 5:44, 2nd half @ 6:22). I reckoned I would have done a 2:09 or 2:10 if it’s a 21.1km race. The hilight ? Seeing James Lee at the finishing and snapped the pic below. So awesome to have a friend to come and support ! 

Overall, happy with the run but the hilly route is still a kill-joy for me ! Must train harder.. AZ trial – here I come !!

+ Nice scenic route
+ Near perfect weather (no sun, cold breeze)
+ Sufficient water station (4 stations, good spread)
+ Good traffic control by Rela/police

I must applaud the great effort by the organizer in planning out this local run on a shoe-string. Medal was originally meant for the top 20, but the organizer decided to give out all excess medals and certs to all participants. Alas, I have gone home by then.. Too bad :(  Always the next race to get my first medal, and that will be AZ RnR !!

Last 200m. Pic courtesy of James Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment