Sunday, March 25, 2012

Malakoff Penang 17km - my best middle distance performance

I don’t have a packed race schedule for 2012 so this Malakoff 17km was a welcoming run, especially it’s held in Penang. Having back-to-back runs on 2 consecutive weekends make it a challenge although the “Merentas Desa” was only a 6.5km cross-country run for most seasoned runners ! I did a trial run on the same route the Saturday before together with Chris & Jin Xiang, clocking 1:30 @ 1.62km. The Malakoff 17km was slated to start at 7am. I arrived at slightly after 6am, ample parking spaces, not a problem since it’s a Sunday morning. Met a familiar face, WC Yip. Had a quick chat then decided to walk around. Then people started to trickle in. Chris was there, and that would have been his 2nd coming-back race. He eventually did 36min for the 7km @ 5:08’/km pace, a very respectable time. Of course Chris is capable of much better time, just give him another month or two. I then met up fellow colleagues who are also taking up running more seriously – Jin Xiang, JS Chew, Yong Foo, and Eng Hong (I met HH Lim after the race). The overall crowd was not that huge, maybe <1000 runners though the report says 1,500. But then, it was a bit dark, so you may not know for sure.

The race got off at almost 7am sharp. I made a mistake of starting up at the back pack and had to zig-zag pass some runners which almost made me trip. The same happened during Merentas Desa. I must remind myself to stay closer to the front in future races. The first 5km was a breeze, yeah.. enjoyed the sea breeze and the morning silky breeze. It was such a an enjoyable run. Clocked in @ 5.01’/km for the first 5km. Not bad, my PB at last. From 5th – 10th km, I started to get lazy and had to rely on some good runners as pacers. I found a Triathlete Malaysia running-vest runner who was running at 5:00-5:05’/km pacing and I followed him throughout until I reached Tesco Tanjung Sri Pinang. That is also the place I lost sight of Jin Xiang whom I used as benchmark. I slowed down considerably along the Straits Quay area, my typical Achilles’ Heel even during my LSD. I still cannot figure out why. The water stations were pretty well spaced out every 5-6km serving water and Gatorade, Thank God not 100Plus. Ah, I must mention that I saw the 3 Kenyans (yes, they have Kenyans running in this small event !) running in front of Island Plaza as I was running towards Tesco on the opposite side of the road. So they must have been a good 3km in front of me !

The 3rd 5km split brought me into Gurney Drive and I enjoyed the run with the sun well blocked by the clouds. This is the familiar route I used to run on weekends, so I have no trouble zig-zagging and avoiding the traffic. As I turned into Jalan Ahmad Shah, my right knee had some funny sensation and I could feel my pressure going up, that is where I decided to slow down to a complete stop and just walk. Listen to my body.. I will not want to jeopardize my health for PBs. A Caucasia n runner came up and asked me the distance. 14.5km… So 2+km to go ! I decided to jog and run alongside him. A short while later, he sped ahead and I kept my running at a constant pace. Moving into Green Hall and into the Padang Kota Lama, I could see photographers clicking away. I must say I do respect them for their time and nice shots of runners. I clocked in at 1:28.53, a pace of 5:19’/km (my PB for >10km run) @ a distance of 16.7km. The closest distance I could compare is the KOTR 2011 @ Sunway Pyramid which I clocked 1:37 but that is a much tougher route with so many inclines along the highway. Overall, a great race, well-organized by PACM. Moving on to my next race – Dnonce Hiking Challenge on 22 April 2012... and I decided to move a notch up to Competitive instead of Fun Hike... We shall see.. and then there’s the LKHSAS a week later @ Kuala Kangsar.

Distance: 16.7km (not exactly 17km)
Time : 1:28.53
Avg pace : 5:19'/km (a PB for >10km run)
Calories burnt : 1312 cal

Breakdown:
1st 5km - 5:01'/km, 25:05
2nd 5km - 5:18'/km, 26:28
3rd 5km - 5:38'/km, 28:08
Last 1.7km - 5:25'/km

3 comments:

  1. You had an awesome race. Looking forward to Larian Hari Keputeraan in april. Have a great time on the Hike Challenge, I will be fighting my way through the Energizer 15k....not sure if I am ready to run it at my fastest, but I will cross the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey.. you did an awesome run too, if not better !!
      yup, decided to skip the Energizer.. and btw, may change plan to only go down on the race morning (4.30am ??). Will talk to you more. ENR is @ Sepang F1 Circuit, nice track to run on !! Go Go Go !!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete